Why I have decided to go indie...




I am very excited to announce that I have published my first Contemporary Christian Fiction Novella as an indie author!

The Grace Song is a story about grace, love and second chances. But ultimately it is a story about faith and how it turns out that believing really is seeing (John 11:40).

You can purchase the book from Amazon here.


Don’t miss the 67% discount promotion running from 17-24 Oct 2019!

Why did I choose to go indie?

1.)    Traditional publishers tend to suck all the joy out of writing.

I say this with a lot of respect towards traditional publishers. I know that their job is not an easy one. But, as a writer, I am sure that you have also read through the guidelines of publishers only to find that your story is not even close to what they want!
So what do you do? You go back and change your story to meet their guidelines. Suddenly it’s not that much fun anymore. You must now try to fit your story into their mold of what stories the world is looking for. What if the story that God gave you to write does not fit into that mold?
You see, I believe, that because I have decided to write for the fame of God and not for my own fame, He will give me the message and the story that He wants the people to read. As an independent author I am now free to create for the pure joy of creating and for the fame of the One who has called me to create! This is, after all, the reason that I write.

2.)    Some of the best books that I have read are written by indie authors.

Being independent does not give me an excuse to downgrade the quality of my writing. On the contrary, I should increase it!
Indie authors are their own promoters. Offering books of a low standard is like suicide to your image as an author. If you offer readers books of a low standard, they will simply not buy another book written by you. Scary but true!

3.)    Most Christian publishers are looking for titles.

This is not true of all Christian publishers, but from my own experience I have found that they won’t even consider your manuscript unless they see the titles pastor, reverend, doctor or professor in front of your name.
Yes, I understand that they have a responsibility to present the world with theologically correct material. It is very, very important. And I do not have any problem with having a title in front of your name. We should all make an effort to increase our knowledge of the Bible and to equip ourselves and if that comes with a title, great!
But, unfortunately, some publishers determine whether or not your book is theologically correct based on your title and not on your content. I am sorry to say that I have read books by pastors, reverends, doctors and professors, published by reputable Christian publishers that have been totally unbiblical!

So, there you have it. My reasons for going the indie route!  Are you an indie author?  Tell us why and share your experiences by commenting below.

Happy writing and God bless
Madeleine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't give up!

Writing advice from Oswald Chambers...